School-to-school support approach
The following school-to-school support opportunities are available from the autumn term 2015. Further details relating to each area can be found overleaf. Further opportunities will be made available throughout the course of the year in response to local and national priorities.
- Primary Developing Learning Programme (DLP)
- Primary Driving Outstanding Practice Programme (DROPP)
- Children’s Champion Network (CNN)
- Secondary Subject Specific Developing Learning Programmes (Core Subjects)
- Inspirational Twilight with Dave Whitaker from Springwell Academy
- SLE Applications
- Support Staff Programme – A Route into Teaching
Primary Developing Learning Programme (DLP)
Cohort 2: 25th Nov; 9th Dec; 13th Jan; 27th Jan and 17th Feb
The primary DLP is open to teachers in all Key Stages and aims to support teachers to move their teaching and classroom practice to consistently ‘good’. The programme is designed and delivered by Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs) who are outstanding school practitioners. All sessions will be held within schools across the Partnership. Please note, numbers are limited and places will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
Through a series of 5 half day structured CPD sessions based in schools, the DLP programme draws upon focussed lesson observations, demonstration of leading practice and peer teaching opportunities. The five sessions are delivered on a bi-weekly model and each half day event leads directly into the development of a focussed area of practice back in school, to be supported by the home school mentor. (Support and materials are provided for in-school mentors and feedback has highlight the programme is significantly more successful when the teacher participating in the DLP programme is supported by an identified in-school mentor). Areas covered through the programme include: Engagement, Assessment for Learning, Questioning, Differentiation and Challenge.
- COST: For delegates from Rotherham schools and academies subscribing to Learners First the cost of this event will be met in full (excluding any cover and travel costs). For all other delegates the cost is £250.00 per person.
- RESERVE A PLACE: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating your name, school, the year group you teach, your contact details and your preferred cohort to reserve a place. Please note places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Primary Driving Outstanding Practice Programme (DROPP)
The DROP programme has been created for primary school teachers with the capacity and skills to achieve ‘outstanding’ consistently in their teaching, learning and progress from students. These teachers will be able to drive forward improvements in teaching and learning both within their own practice and with colleagues back in their schools and disseminate ‘outstanding practice’ beyond their own classroom. Using a coaching model to explore, challenge and investigate areas of practice using a framework of key research questions, the programme will challenge and support participants to:
- develop skills and strategies to achieve outstanding learning and progress from students in their classrooms and in the classrooms of colleagues
- lead the development and sharing of best practice with others in their department and school to further improve student learning outcomes
- consider the key characteristics of outstanding practice and how these are realised in different contexts, settings and phases
- become better equipped and able to deliver the mission in the immediate, short, medium and long term.
Participants on the programme will be required to attend all face to face sessions and have the support of an in-school mentor. There will also be additional opportunities for participants to experience outstanding practice in settings/schools/contexts different to their own to deepen their experience and understanding of ‘outstanding’.
- COST: For delegates from Rotherham schools and academies subscribing to Learners First the cost of this event will be met in full (excluding any cover and travel costs). For all other delegates the cost is £500 per person.
- RESERVE A PLACE: Application forms are available to download from the Learners First website: learnersfirst.net. Alternatively, please email email@example.com to request an application form to be sent electronically. The deadline for applications is strictly midnight on Friday 25th September 2015. In the event that the programme is oversubscribed, applications will be prioritised on a first-come first-served basis so an early application is advised.
Secondary Developing Learning Programmes (DLP) – Subject Specific
The programme is designed and delivered by Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs) who are outstanding school practitioners. All sessions will be held within schools across the Partnership. Through a series of structured CPD sessions based in schools, the DLP programme draws upon focussed lesson observations, demonstration of leading practice and peer teaching opportunities. It also provides valuable networking opportunities for teachers from different schools and settings. Each session leads directly into the development of a focussed area of practice back in school and should be supported by the home school mentor.
Expressions of interest are currently being taken for the English DLP, Science DLP and Maths DLP programmes. To express an interest please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating your name, school, contact details and subject preference. Please note, numbers are limited and places will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
Regular updates about all Learners First opportunities will be circulated to schools on a regular basis and will also be made available on the website.