Interested in becoming a teacher?
To work as a teacher in state maintained schools (excluding academies and free schools) in England and Wales you need to have professional qualified teacher status (QTS). To be awarded QTS by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) you must complete a period of training, such as a one-year Professional or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course or school-centred training, which recommends you for QTS. This is known as initial teacher training (ITT).
Although different training providers may have specific recruitment criteria, there are some basic eligibility requirements for teacher training in England.
Find out more…..DFE get into teaching
What is School Direct?
School Direct is an ever increasingly popular alternative route into teaching which is more school-based and school-led than a traditional one year PGCE.
- 85% of the programme is spent in at least 2 schools training, teaching and observing lessons and best practice.
- The remaining 15% is spent at our partner HEI studying for the PGCE element of the programme.
- The school based part of the programme is bespoke to the individual.
- Full and comprehensive support network for each trainee.
- Graduating the programme means the award of QTS and PGCE.
- Upon graduation via the School Direct route, there is the intention to offer graduates their first job as a teacher. Over the past 2 years 96% of Learners First School Direct graduates have been offered employment within our partnership of schools.
How to apply to a training provider?
All candidates have to apply via UCAS. It is advisable before you apply to look at the ITT entry criteria before applying. Experience of an educational setting is vital prior to application, with blocks of time, for example a whole week at a time, being preferable to regular half days. A minimum of one week is required. Full entry criteria can be found on the link below
The application process for starting School Direct in September 2017 is now open on UCAS.
If you feel that you do not meet the entry criteria, especially regarding in school experience, please contact the team who can discuss this with you. We have schools across South Yorkshire that could help.
of all ITT trainees with Learners First graduate from the programme
of ITT trainees with Learners First are graded good or outstanding upon graduation
of ITT graduates with Learners First are employed before or immediately after graduation
ITT graduates with Learners First are now employed as teachers
Our School Direct team are here to help you with any queries :-
Andrew McCafferty – amccafferty@
General – firstname.lastname@example.org